Saturday, February 13, 2010

The boyfriend. (June 2009 - December 2009)

Since I’m still looking back at this point, now’s the time I can tell you about my last boyfriend, The Lawyer. The Lawyer from Texas (hold on to that nugget because you’ll notice a theme.) The Lawyer taught me a lot. He was nice, he liked me, he called when he said he would, he held doors, he held my hand. He showed me exactly how I should be treated. He genuinely was a nice guy. We met online at a very weird time in my life. I had been laid off from Dream Job in Oregon and decided to move home to Denver. The first two things I did were booked movers and updated my match profile with a Denver zip code. I met The Lawyer almost right away, but wouldn’t be moving home for about another two months. We started exchanging emails about once every 3-4 days until I was back in Denver. Our first date was your typical drinks at a bar, but we stayed out much later than planned just talking. We went to a Rockies game that following week, then went out for sushi the week after that. It progressed from there and the first two months were simply fantastic. He was thoughtful. He was (is) ambitious. He had (has) a good job. Then something changed. I can’t pinpoint it, but it was about half way into our four month relationship that something was different. I knew it. I shouldn’t have stuck around for another two months waiting for the other shoe to drop. I should have trusted my gut. Things didn’t get “bad” per say, they just were not the same. So I finally decided around the end of November that I’d get through the holidays, spend New Years Eve with him…and that would be the make-it-or-break-it point. No need to wait until NYE, he did the breaking right after Thanksgiving. He’s “too busy”, but breaking up is the hardest thing he’s ever had to do. (GAG) Well he’s had a pretty fantastic life then if that’s what he considers “hard”. Good for him. (No really, I don’t have hard feelings and I’m in the process of seeing if we can be friends. I miss his friendship a lot.) It worked out though, because I was able to return the Xmas gift I bought him, buy a new outfit for me, and wear it out to the bars that Saturday night. Of all the gin joints in all the world…we had to end up at the same damn place that night of course. Denver is so very small sometimes. I know I saw him. I know I spoke to him. Hell if I know what I said, I was hammered from all the guys buying me drinks because I looked hot in my new clothes. And he was dressed like an elf. Happy holidays, I win.

No comments:

Post a Comment