Friday, February 12, 2010

Portland. Like Boulder, only closer to the ocean. (June 2008 - June 2009)

Moved to Portland only knowing two people there, they happened to be engaged to each other. Not a large circle of friends. So I thought I’d try something different this time and I joined eHarmony. Filled out the bazillion question survey and was deemed worthy of joining their service. I now question their criteria for 1) selecting people for their site 2) setting those people up with me. I pretty much met everyone that was the exact opposite of me and what I was (am) looking for. My two favorites were the small town guy (with closed-minded small town views) and the single dad. I never actually met the single dad in person, one phone call was enough to realize that I should run (not walk) away very, very quickly. We were discussing the areas of town we were living in and our living situations. He was living in a two bedroom condo with a set price for his rent and utilities. He had a really good deal (read: cheap) for a nice, large, new place in a good area. He was complaining that he thought rent was too high and he really needed to save money. His idea was to rent out his friend’s garage to live in for $200/month. Yes, garage. As in move the lawn mower and mountain bike to make room for a mattress. When I asked about the weekends his son was with him, inquiring as to weather he was going to make his son also sleep in the garage, he informed me that his hope was to meet a woman that he and his son could stay with on those weekends. He was looking for free rent, not a girlfriend.

If I don’t laugh, I’ll cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment